Looking for housing

Just like the rest of Languedoc-Roussillon region, the Montpellier Méditerranée Métropole area is one of the most attractive territories in France. This demographic effervescence can be seen in the numerous construction sites in Montpellier and the surrounding cities... each one representing housing opportunities.


Are you planning to stay in the Montpellier Méditerranée Métropole area for a few days, weeks, months or more? What's the best approach? You have many different options...

Short-term rental

  • Hotels, bed & breakfasts, tourist residences, campgrounds, and more.
    The Montpellier Tourist Office has a long list of establishments that you can access at the tourist office on the Place de la Comédie. For more information, please call: +33 (0)4 67 60 60 60.
  • Furnished rentals
    Some organizations offer files with listings of furnished apartments, typically for young people (and sometimes for anyone who asks). Most of the time these accommodations are small apartments or individual rooms, independent or in a larger setting, or roommate opportunities with shared common space, such as the kitchen and bathroom.

Long-term rental
Are moving to the Montpellier Méditerranée Métropole area? Here are a few tips to help you get started in the right direction.

  • Real estate agencies
    The role of these agencies is to put you in contact with the property owner and handle lease documents. If the real estate agent is a certified professional, with a "gestion immobilière" card (property management), the agency may handle the entire rental for the owner directly. Each agency is free to set its own service fees. Fees related to managing rental documents are generally shared equally by the owner and renter. There are some 500 real estate agents in the Montpellier Méditerranée Métropole area, 20% of which are members of the FNAIM professional organization. FNAIM has set up an Internet server where you can see the various offerings by member agents (www.fnaim.fr).
  • List sellers
    Unlike a real estate agent, a "list seller" does not actually show you the accommodations, write the rental agreement or inventory form. The seller's service is limited to providing lists of accommodations that correspond to the criteria you specify in the contract. It is your responsibility to contact the owners provided on the list to visit the premises and, if necessary, conclude the rental agreement. It is important to note that the accommodations contained in the list must be available and up-to-date when you receive the list.
    You sign an agreement with the list seller (certified with a professional card) specifying the details of what you are looking for, the expected service, its price and the terms and conditions under which you may be reimbursed if you are unable to find corresponding accommodations within a determined period of time.
    Make sure to include the exact criteria for your selection (location, surface area, number of rooms, deadline), as the more accurate the contract is, the more likely the provided list will correspond to your expectations.
  • Property ads
    Classified ads published in newspapers generally give you direct access to the property owners. Before your visit, don't hesitate to make a phone call to confirm the information presented in the ad.

Buying a house or apartment

Are you thinking about buying your own home in the Montpellier Méditerranée Métropole area?
Whether you decide to buy something new or an already-existing property, we recommend that you define your needs carefully, choose the right type of housing and evaluate your budget before making any commitments.

Looking up average prices: an essential step before starting to search for a home

  • www.immoprix.com : this site provides notary public real estate pricing: it is actually one of the few sources of data based on notary public transactions that is available to the general public. It is also one of the most reliable. The site publishes average data based on a very large number of transactions.
  • www.immoneuf.com : this site publishes information about new housing construction projects on a city-by-city basis, including main features and sales price for each type of accommodation.

Where to find more information?

  • From notarial firms:
  • On the Internet:
  • (auction site)
  • In the local press:
    • Midi libre
    • Paru vendu
    • Top Hebdo
  • Directly with property developers :
    Property developers sell both the land and the home being built (individual house or apartment), generally before its construction. They either sell directly or via agencies specialized in commercializing real-estate products. They may also work through real estate agent networks or notary publics. A reservation contract is established before you actually sign the sales deed with the notary public. This contract specifies all the terms and conditions related to the sale. The price includes the fees of intermediary parties. In addition, you must add specific fees for the sales deed itself (about 3%). Overall payment is spread out over time according to the progression of the construction work.

Moving in, moving out

If you would like to get help from a moving specialist, you must be sure to take a few basic precautions: contact several companies at least two months ahead of time, get a detailed estimate, confirm your moving date as early as possible and insure your goods properly.
For more information, feel free to contact the French Chamber of moving companies and furniture storage (www.csdemenagement.fr).
When moving out, remember to send notice to the property owner (or agency) by registered mail with return receipt as stipulated in your rental agreement, cancel your subscription with your electricity, gas and water providers, close your telephone line (dial 14), return the keys (entrance door, mailbox, etc.), pay any outstanding fees (which may be reimbursed after adjustment), have your mail forwarded by the Post Office (www.laposte.fr), notify administrative agencies of your new address information (www.changement-adresse.gouv.fr: on-line portal for changing your address with public entities):

  • Electricity provider
  • Water service
  • Telephone service
  • Social security, complementary insurance
  • Caisse d’Allocations Familiales (family allowance fund)
  • Home-owner's insurance (you must insure your residence!)
  • Banks
  • Retirement funds
  • Tax collection.

You will then need to choose your gas and electricity provider, insure the new residence starting from the moment you receive the keys, while keeping your insurance on the previous residence until the keys are either returned to the owner or the new tenant, and contact the CAF (family allowance fund) to find out whether or not you are entitled to benefit from aid, and register to vote (as applicable ) in your new zone.

Technical advice
Several Internet sites are available if you have questions about current standards to respect concerning your accommodations:

School registration
City hall will tell you which school is closest to your home.

  • Primary school
    Remember to get an exit certificate from any previous establishments and register your children after moving.
  • Middle school or high school
    Get an exit certificate from the previous establishment and register your children as early as possible before moving.
  • University
    Request your transfer well before you move.

Share this article