Montpellier has built its economic successes by focusing on innovation. For the past thirty years, local public authorities have endeavored to promote the massive potential of research and education in our territory to fertilize the business community.
Mayor of the City of Montpellier
President of Montpellier Méditerranée Métropole
Leveraging a long-standing tradition of welcoming people and opportunities, along with our Mediterranean roots, and vibrant cultural vitality, we also carry values favorable for tomorrow’s economy, in particular creativity, environmental excellence, and an aptitude to cooperate.
Vice President of Montpellier Méditerranée Métropole
Delegate for Economic Development, Higher Education and Research, Innovation, French Tech, Craft Trades, Operational Planning, and Urbanism
Montpellier: a territory that attracts
Montpellier opens its arms to you with its long-standing tradition of welcoming, an exceptional environment, a privileged location in the Mediterranean region, and a quality of life appreciated by many.
A central position in the heart of Europe and the Mediterranean region
Numerous partnerships make greater Montpellier a major international hub
Five reasons to choose the greater Montpellier area
- The fastest growing area in France, twice the nationwide demographic growth forecast from 2020 to 2030 (French Institute for Statistics).
- Economic vitality enhanced by public investment of 5 billion euros in major territorial projects
- 72,000 students (including 15% international) and 36,000 senior managers
- A level of French productivity higher than the rest of the Euro Zone or USA (American Bureau for Statistics)
- Lower cost of labor than Lyon, Toulouse, Grenoble and Marseille (French Institute for Statistics)
- Leading European destination for its low cost of doing business (KPMG)
- Lower company establishment costs: 5% lower than Nantes, 10% lower than Lyon, and over 25% lower than Paris (BNP Paribas Real Estate, Ober Haff, Michael Page, Adecco)
- Leading location in France in terms of public-sector research intensity (French Institute for Statistics)
- Ranked as the second-leading startup incubator in the world by UBI Global, BIC propagates Montpellier’s expertise in assisting innovation.
- Authentic traditions and a Mediterranean lifestyle in the heart of the world’s largest wine region
- A calendar of cultural and sports events worthy of a European metropolis, exhibitions by the world’s greatest painters, international festivals for dance, cinema, music, and extreme sports
TERRITORYin terms of job creation for startups (Les Echos)
METROPOLISin terms of job growth (Compas Paris)
RANKINGin Europe for its low cost of doing business (KPMG)
most attractive areafor professional real estate, after downtown Paris (Ernst & Young)
METROPOLIS(population 200,000 to 500,000) where it is considered “smart to create a company” (L’Expansion)
BEST STARTUP INCUBATORWORLDWIDE (UBI Global)
Aongus Hegarty president of Dell EMC, EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa)
“Montpellier’s teams are driven by energy, passion, and a real sense of commitment. These values make a difference.”
Karim Khenissi director of ESMA (Higher School of Artistic Professions)
“Everybody wins if we can build bridges between companies and our students, contributing to both the district’s vitality and city’s exposure. With the Creative City, we will give every field unique resources to obtain the same results as those achieved by 3D and special effects.“
Emmanuel Petiot CEO of Deinove
“Twice, we benefited from office space personalized and equipped by Montpellier Méditerranée Métropole to help our company grow, create jobs, and meet critical challenges for our planet and population. It is a win-win partnership.“